Well, it's been a week since the con, I suppose I should get around to posting linkage to all the cool peoples I met at Anime Central in Chicago. First up is the crew who draw the newly splurdlinked comic Is It Con Yet? William, Alex and Joe capture the insanity of anime conventions quite well. Go read.
The artist ally at Anime Central actually had a nice healthy stock of web comic artists, which makes me happy.
- I discovered Flip Side Comics and Paradigm Shift, both have pretty cool anime-inspired artwork.
- Studio Antithesis is a busy little group of artists who are running three different online comics, all worth digging.
- Steam Powered is just getting started, but it looks promising - the art is nice and you just can't go wrong with apocalyptic steam punk.
- The site needs work and it takes some clicking to get to it, but I am also digging the artwork of Metanoia.
- I'm finding myself lost in the hugeness of Enter the Void, and the same could be said about the vastness of Twilight Tangents, which sports over a decade or web comics.
- Finally, it's not a web comic, but if anyone can figure out what Panda Rage Press does, please explain it to me.
The most interesting conversation I had at artists' ally was with Jennifer Gallagher, artist of Swenyar's Find. Much like myself when I started Backstage, Jennifer has plans of a great epic story, but is aware that her art skills are not quite up to "epic" par. Nonetheless, Jennifer's (in)famous american-manga artist brother Piro is pushing her to draw her story. While talking with Jennifer, I told her how I used Backstage to develop my art skills before diving into The Elves of Iax, and she seemed to dig the idea. I'm looking forward to seeing what Jennifer is capable of.
The most fun project I discovered was Project Card. I'm going to (try to) make it my crusade to pimp this plan to the bigger web comic artists. The plan is to unite approximately 52 web comic artists - preferably the better-known ones - to create and print a deck of cards, each card featuring a different comic or character. Unfortunately, it looks to me that the website is not even finished. I guess I have some time to sort things out before I start pimping.
Well, that's my report of Chicago. I'm off to simultaneously finish the EoI intro and earn a living. Due to a slight reorganization, the intro will now be 9 pages. This means there's only THREE MORE TO GO! It's going to happen - I'm going to have something to show off at Otakon! WOO! Dig me.